Saturday, March 19, 2011

# 9 One of our Thursday's is Missing by Jasper Fforde

I really cannot get enough of Fforde's books.  I try to get more of my friends and family to read them but most complain that it is just a little too weird and it makes them think too much.  I don't understand what is wrong with that.  Anyway, this is the six book in the Thursday Next series and it was quite a lot of fun.  If you haven't read any of the others, I suggest you start from the beginning or risk being incredibly confused.

The book picks up a couple years after the events of First Among Sequels.  The book world has been transformed from a library based system to a geographical one with each genre inhabiting its own island.  The written Thursday Next is the narrator, last seen as a wimpy hippy, and we see her struggles to maintain dignity in her series even with falling reader rates and hostile coworkers.  One day Jurisfiction, the policing agency in the Book World, asks Thursday to investigate a book break-up that is expected to be nothing more than an accident.  What Thursday finds instead is the beginning of what seems to be a sinister assassination plot.  To top it off, the real Thursday has gone missing right before peace talks with Racy Novel, and few seem to want her found.  Along with her clockwork robot butler, Thursday investigates the break-up and the real Thursday's disappearance.  Soon enough though, she becomes a target for assassination.

As usual, this book is jam-packed with plot, grammar and literary-based humor.  Everything can move so fast sometimes that I don't catch a joke on the first read.  Some things, like Nancy Potter, made me laugh out loud on the metro, which was a little embarrassing.  It took me a little longer than usual to get into this book, but I think that is because I've been a lot more tired than normal.  This series is one that I enjoy again and again, I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment