Saturday, March 19, 2011

#10 Scott Pilgrim: The Complete Series by Bryan Lee O'Malley

I got this series for my little brother, but I wanted to read them because I loved the movie and figured they would be a fun quick read, which they are.  I'm going to count all six books of this comic series as one just because I went through them so quick.  The Sandman series, which I'm working on now, is a different story.  This set includes all six of the Scott Pilgrim graphic novels:  Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, Scott Pilgrim and the Infinite Sadness, Scott Pilgrim Gets it Together, Scott Pilgrim vs. the Universe, and Scott Pilgrim's Finest Hour.

The hero of this story is Scott Pilgrim, a 23 year old Canadian slacker and general asshole.  He is in a band, Sex Bob-Omb, with friend Steven Stills and ex-girlfriend Kim Pine.  Scott lives with is gay roommate Wallace in a one bedroom shit-hole apartment and is dating a high schooler named Knives Chau.  One day, Scott sees a mysterious roller-blading girl in his dreams.  He becomes obsessed and stalkerish when he finds out that she is real.  Soon enough, Scott and his mystery girl, Ramona Flowers, are dating.  But he finds out that seeing her isn't that simple,  Scott has to destroy her seven evil exes.  Along the way we meet Julie, a massive bitch who occasionally dates Stephen Stills, Scott's sensible sister, Stacy, Young Neil, Stephen's roommate and one of the band's two fans, and Envy Adams, Scott's own evil ex.  Each book deals with a different evil ex, all of whom are ridiculous.

I can't help but compare the books to the movie because I saw it first.  I was amazed at how much the movie took directly from the books, although the last one didn't come out until after the movie was shot, so there is a big difference there.  I mostly enjoyed getting some more background on the characters, like Kim, who with Wallace is easily the best part of the movie and the books.  My biggest problem is that Scott is such an asshole, but then again, so is Ramona, so it's a match made in a weird version of Canada.  Overall, I will probably not read these again, but they were funny and quick, so it's worth giving them a shot.

As a side note:  I went to the movie really wanting to see George Michael beat up Ann and left disappointed.  If it had gone the way it did in the comic book, it would have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment