Sunday, November 20, 2011

Book 43: Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf


This book has been sitting on my shelf for a long time.  It was one that I felt I should read but I suppose I didn’t because I was unconsciously afraid that I wouldn’t like it.  It turns out that I didn’t enjoy it at all and I regret picking it up.

Mrs. Dalloway covers a single day, starting with Clarissa Dalloway’s preparations for a party that she is throwing that night.  The story includes her and her friends’ memories of their youth, brought up when an old suitor of hers pays a visit.  There is a veteran suffering from PTSD and his foreign wife who struggles to keep things together.  Clarissa’s husband, daughter, and everyone that they encounter throughout the day plays a role in the novel and the point of view changes continuously. 

I’m not going to go into any more detail than that because I’m getting bored again just thinking about the novel.  Maybe I’m missing the point but I could not get engaged in the story at any point and found my mind wandering the entire time.  The book is very short but I had to reread passages several times because I started to think of more interesting things, which made my total reading time longer than it should have been.  I don’t know if it is just Woolf’s writing that I didn’t enjoy, the subject matter, or a combination of the two, but I disliked this book and will be happy to see it leave my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment