Saturday, December 31, 2011

Book 50: Bridget Jones's Diary by Helen Fielding


I was a huge fan of this book in high school but I haven’t read it in years, so I figured while I was purging books I should see if this one is worth keeping.  Honestly, it’s not a great book, but I still enjoy it, so I guess it’s not going anywhere yet. 

Bridget Jones is a 30-something single Brit, with a job she isn’t satisfied with and a mother that drives her nuts.  The book begins on New Year’s Day at the annual turkey curry buffet.  Bridget’s mom is trying to fix her up with Mark Darcy, a family friend who seems to find Bridget unappealing.  After that early embarrassment, Bridget returns home with every effort to better herself.  This includes losing weight, quitting smoking and drinking, and establishing a healthy relationship with a non-fuckwit.  Soon though, she is sleeping with her boss, the biggest fuckwit of them all, and not keeping any of her new year’s resolutions. 

This is a fun book.  Bridget, her family, and friends are ridiculous and funny.  While I’m pretty far from being like Bridget, I relate more to her than I ever thought I would, which is a little scary.  Anyways, this is an entertaining and quick read.  If you enjoyed the movie, you will enjoy this, it’s that simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment