Monday, December 31, 2012

Book 41: The Woman Who Died A Lot by Jasper Fforde


The newest Thursday Next novel is the first that does not involve a trip into the Bookworld, which I thought I would be disappointed without.  But while this one wasn’t my favorite of the series I still had a great time reading it and enjoyed the typical zany plotline.

Thursday has been forced into semiretirement after the assassination attempt from the previous book.  Much to her dismay, instead of heading up the newly reformed Literary Detectives, she is put in charge of the Swindon All-You-Can-Eat at Fatso’s Drink Not Included Library.  At home, her daughter Tuesday is trying in vain to complete the anti-smite shield to protect humanity from the vengeful deity.  Her son Friday is still dealing with the aftermath of the dissolution of the Chronogaurd, which has become especially awkward since he now knows that he is destined to murder someone and spend most of his life in jail.  Add to that the improving quality of the Thursday clones and the mind worm that Aornis Hades implanted, and you have the makings of an entertaining but incredibly hard to describe book.

As I said, I liked this installment in the series, and it was nice to have the real Thursday back after her absence in the last book.  I will be eagerly awaiting the next book in this series, which will see a return back to the Bookworld to discover more about Dark Reading Matter.  Of course I don’t know how long I will have to wait, it looks like more than a year at this point.  I’ll need even more books to occupy myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment