Monday, December 31, 2012

Book 45: The Mark of Athena by Rick Riordan


This is the third installment of the Heroes of Olympus series, which for some reason I assumed was the last.  When I got to the last hundred pages I realized that this couldn’t possibly be the last one because there was nowhere near enough time to wrap everything up.  And I’m really glad that I still have two more books to look forward to, these books are too much fun to end yet.

The story picks up right after the end of the last one—Percy, Frank, and Hazel are at the Roman camp awaiting the arrival of Jason, Annabeth, Piper, and Leo.  There are all aware that they are the group that is prophesized to fight Gaea in Greece and that to win they need to unite the Roman and Greek demigods.  Of course right away things do not go well, when Leo is possessed and starts firing his ship’s weapons on the Roman camp.  After a hasty getaway, the group travels to Rome to fight Gaea’s forces, while Annabeth is tasked with a mission from her mother that no other child of Athena had successfully completed. 

This installment was just as good as the others.  But it ends with a pretty significant cliffhanger and I have been frustrated with anticipation since I finished it.  Obviously I enjoyed the book, and if you have liked the previous books in the series, you probably will too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment